Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Easy movement

It is easier to move in Fiji than in the US. About an hour ago I called Kalaviti Carriers and asked if I could hire a truck and a driver in 45 minutes to move some furniture. Sure enough, at 3 pm, a truck (barely moving) and a driver were outside of my house to help me move. Well, actually--Babu (the driver) stood at the bottom of my stairs while Mike and I carried down the two tables, one desk and five stools that are going to find a new home in my friend Jennifer's garage till I return.

During the ten minute drive to Jennifer's, Babu didn't say much but he had a very nice demeanor and now all that is left of my moving is to pile some clothes, books, and house plants into Grant's car and see if I can't squeeze him right out of his flat.....

Earlier today, in town, I moved with ease down the street wearing a black, with pink and white flowers, gold leaves and silver trim, Sulu-Chamba. I received many compliments and felt quite elegant in the easy-to-wear, never-mismatched, one-piece that adorns most Fijian women. I am hoping next year to have at least four of them for teaching purposes and the fact I don't have to search for an iron, or clothes that fit when I wake up. The beauty of tailored outfits is that they always make you look good....

My essay contest has been a raving success--with all of the seven entries from around the country. To my dismay, I found out that some schools decided they would 'democratically' go through the essays, pick out their favorites and send them on to us (the essay selection board). The only reason this perturbs me is because there is a lot of favoritism and rote teaching in Fiji, and therefore an essay that the board may have thought to be original, creative, and concise--would be removed from the school's submission b/c it was deemed unfit. However, some essays were perfectly crafted with original thought, cultural uniqueness and solid observations on what it is like to grow up in a hybrid, post-colonial nation. Others were pedantic and borrowed various dictionary definitions of "culture"--these particular essays were chosen by the heads of school and mailed to us.

Things are moving with great speed and alacrity here in Fiji. The earth is shaking; my plans are progressing; the school year is ending, and my Rotary year is slowly coming full circle. I am looking forward to being back on US soil, ordering pizza, eating cheese and enjoying the many, many lovely people I have in my life!

See you soon :)

Cheers....Namaste...peace....

No comments:

Post a Comment