Monday, February 2, 2009

Welcome!

Bula! (Fijian term for hello, but more specifically means health.)

Greetings to all those who are reading this blog. I leave for Fiji in T-12 days and will arrive in T-14 days (Yes, that is 2 days of travel, or 1+ an international dateline.) Now that your short math lesson is over, I will just give you some facts about who I am, where I am going and what I am doing.

I am 23 and heading to Suva, the capital city of the Fiji Islands. It is located on the main island, Viti Levu. This island is 2/3 rds of the distance between southern California and New Zealand. (The middle of nowhere). For the next 11 months I will be pursuing year one of a graduate program in Education, at the University of the South Pacific and volunteering in a local school system. 

As many of you know I am traveling to Fiji as an Ambassadorial Scholar of Good Will for Rotary International. Rotary is a phenomenal non-profit, humanitarian organization who's motto is: "Service above self." I have finally been given an opportunity to make a difference in this world and Fiji is the place I am going to start. My primary role as an A.S. will be to form a bridge between my American culture and my host district's Fijian culture. 

Time in Fiji is very relaxed, so as far as I'm concerned--with my new hybrid American-Fijian-mindset--I am set to go. I have my tickets for 2/14/09, I have most things packed, I have a study permit to live in the country through next December, I have amazing Rotary contacts who answer all of my neurotic questions, and I have bug spray--lots of bug spray. (If you followed my New Zealand blog, you'll be familiar with my past run-in with tropical bugs.) I also have, just in case I am feeling super paranoid, a bug net to envelop my bed while I sleep. (I don't want any creepy-crawlers in my sheets, or on my face!)

I am very excited to begin my journey and a wee bit nervous. I know this next year is going to not only change my life, but the lives of many other people. At this point I can only look toward the future. I can smile, take a deep breath, and look toward my Yogi tea for all of life's answers. :)

Today's quote: "I am beautiful. I am bountiful. I am blissful." (I am definitely aware of the bountiful bit, so Yogi could be steering me in the right direction.)

Vinaka Vakalevu (Thank you very much) I appreciate your interest in my studies and travels!

Nina

2 comments:

  1. Hi Fuji/MV girl. Love the blog, can't wait to read more. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nina,

    Thanks for the blog. I am in Ft Meyers and it is a lot easier. Vacation AMERICAN STYLE. However, Rosie is in Nicaraya on vaca and her luggage was lost and sent to Columbia. Her return bus to airport was supposed to take 2 hours but took 4 hours instead and she missed her return flt. Next flt was 2 days later, but oh NO, it left 2 hours early, and you guessed it, she missed it. Now she must wait till tomorrow and hopefully she and all other passengers who missed 2 hour premature flt will get on next plane. Welcome to the 3rd world travel system. Hopefully she will return home tomorrow, 2 hours before me, Uncle Michael can just spend the afternoon in the airport waiting for his women, in the middle of tax season. So sorry to hear about your illnesses. All things take on equal meaning when you are not well. Hopefully things will get easier, you're read about trial by fire, now you know it really exists. Who knows how these life experiences will benefit you or be to the benefit of others who meet you in the future. All we know is lessons are learned from each experience. It is our higher powers will as to who and how these benefits will be played out. It has been my experience that when the answers come, you will know it, and you will understand why these experiences were important either for you or for the person you will affect. Blessings to you and your roommate. Keep you feet on the ground and your spirts high!!! Love to you from all your family here and in the past. A piece of all of us is with you... Love, Auntie Margie

    ReplyDelete